Are you interested in languages, education and technology and want to work in one of the world’s best EdTech startups? Then join us and be part of an ambitious and talented team that revolutionises how we learn languages.
Busuu is the app that makes learning a language easier for everyone and proves that learning a language must not be done in a classroom.
We are the world’s largest language learning community with over 100 million users from 190 countries, growing at up to 50,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers and live tutoring from qualified teachers across the world.
If you are passionate about languages, want to work with smart, creative, energetic people and possess the initiative, confidence and good judgement to make independent decisions every day – then you are probably the perfect addition for our growing team.
What does a Senior Android Engineer do at Busuu?As an Android Engineer, you’ll be working on our flagship and region-specific apps, shipping to over 40 countries throughout the world in over 10 languages, offering our users a huge variety of languages to learn from. You’ll think about how users interact with our learning experience, how to help them learn better and faster, and then build an experience that everyone can enjoy learning with.
You’ll be learning fast through different initiatives (guilds, reading clubs, learning together meetings, personal learning budget…), and keeping up with the latest industry standards.
Our tech stack:
Our project is based on Clean Architecture principle and MVP. Working in an agile team (Scrum), we like to brainstorm during problem-solving. Our code base is a little more than 60% Kotlin at the moment and we make use of Dependency Injection and libraries such as Retrofit, Dagger 2, RxJava, Room, Mockito and others. We are also migrating to coroutines, so experience in this area is a bonus 🙂
What makes a great Senior Android Engineer at Busuu?
- Professional Android development experience, with a history of shipping Android apps
- Previous involvement in entire app development lifecycle, from project creation through coding & QA to app store deployment
- Knowledge in unit testing in Android (Mockito would be perfect)
- Good foundation in Android UI principles. You will be working with a UX team, but your suggestions and design ideas will be appreciated and considered
- Understanding of web services and REST APIs
- Deep appreciation of mobile development practices and Android app optimisation
- Good understanding of Android app architecture and use of design patterns
- Strong OO skills, experience with Kotlin with an appreciation for pragmatism and simplicity in code
- An instinct for excellent app design and user experience
Being a part of Busuu – How do things work:
We are acutely aware that we are in unprecedented times and like all companies, we need to adapt to this in order to safeguard our Busuu community. In order to do this, we are constantly reviewing the government guidelines and adapting accordingly to accommodate the physical and mental well-being of our employees. In the current global climate, some of our team events are virtual and some of our benefits have been amended.
At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
We have an amazing office which is available for you to work from if you would like to do so, this is completely optional at the moment in the current environment. If you would like to be in the office we have put in place lots of important social distancing practices to ensure you are safe to meet with your colleagues in person
The office is well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
Social interaction is really important to us so we have lots of remote activities for you to join into such as team events, socials, online weekly quiz, etc
Their is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field, attend virtual conferences and events that you find interesting
To keep you active and help your mindfulness we offer weekly virtual yoga sessions
Busuu offers a great private health insurance scheme.
We like to support our teams with their work life balance so we offer flexible working hours
We offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for Android Engineer is the following steps:
- CV application review – We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat – Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- Culture fit interview – On-site or video call with the Engineering Manager
- Technical questions – Technical call with the Android team
- Technical test – We will send you a technical test to complete in your time
- Coding review – Technical interview and task review with the Android team
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they’re cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgment-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We’d love to hear what you have to say.