Choco provides a centralized platform connecting restaurants and suppliers. The result is better communication, simplified logistics, and – here comes the big one – less food waste. Our aim is to contribute to a transparent, sustainable and waste-free global food chain by 2030.
With technology at the core of our work, our engineers are driven by quality. Our chat-based ordering app has already changed the game for thousands of restaurants and suppliers across the globe, but there is much more work to be done. And that’s where we need your help. If you’re looking to be at the intersection of purpose and innovation, we’d love to hear from you.
Meet your team
You will work as part of a dedicated cross-functional, autonomous squad team together with Android, iOS, QA, frontend and backend engineers. The team is coached by an engineering manager who works in a triangle with product design and product management. There are 2 or 3 feature teams in every product team and in every product team we need at least one or two Android engineers.
You will also be part of a so-called Chapter team, which is everyone in your technical discipline, at this stage we are a team of 9 Android engineers.
Your main focus will be the development and launch of new features for our restaurant and supplier users. You will directly report to the Engineering Manager of your squad.
Our CTO Vikas Gupta
Our working model reflects a balance between the highly collaborative nature of our business and modern-day flexibility. We look forward to seeing you in our Berlin office on our bi-weekly face-to-face days and whenever else you’d like to come in.
What you’ll do
- On a day-day basis you will create an engaging UI together with product designers and user experience researchers
- You will improve our Android client, test, deploy and benchmark your own code and participate in code reviews
- From day one you will have a lot of trust, autonomy and responsibility. Most likely your code will be in production during the first week or two
- You will work with developers, product managers, designers, web engineers and QA and actively take part in product discussions. Here we would love to hear your ideas on how to continuously improve our app
The technology you’ll work with
- Kotlin, RxJava, GraphQL, Git, MVVM, Clean architecture
What we’re looking for
- Senior level engineer skill set in native Android development, ideally with some of the technologies listed above
- Good understanding of coding best practices, cares about writing high quality code, and testing it well
- Proficient with Kotlin and Android frameworks
- Mentor and coach other team members and share knowledge with the rest of the teams
We invite you to take part in the following selection process:
- Introduction call: a Tech Recruiter will tell you more about Choco, our Tech Org and get to know your work, background, interests and you as a person better.
- Technical interview: During this stage we want to get deeper into your technical knowledge. Next to some technical questions you will work together with another engineer in a pair programming excercise.
- Culture & Collaboration interview: we will have a chat with you about our culture and checks what can be your non-technical contribution to Choco. Our product managers would like to see how you would collaborate on building the most amazing product for our customers.
OFFER: your interviewers will make a decision together regarding your offer.
A stellar onboarding and the smartest team in the foodspace will be waiting for you! 🚀
Choco was founded in Berlin in 2018 and has since expanded to a team of over 400 committed Chocorians working from active Choco offices in the US, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, and Spain. Our ordering app is used by over 15K buyers and over 10K suppliers around the globe – bringing our annual order volume to an estimated $1 billion.
Just a year after our $63.7 million Series A funding round, we secured an additional $100 million in Series B funding. In April of 2022, we gained another $111 million in Series B2 funding with a valuation of $1.2 billion – earning us unicorn status just a few years in.
We’re backed by leading investors like Insight Partners, LeftLane Capital, Coatue Management, and Bessemer Venture Partners. In addition, we’re working alongside those who built companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, and more.
What it’s like to be a Chocorian
You will join a company filled with smart, humble and hard-working people. We are a start-up where people put the team first, deeply trust each other, take ownership and truly understand what they are working for day by day.
You will join a group of diverse people from all around the world who share their experiences and contribute in their areas of expertise and learn from each other.
You will join a passionate team that shares the same values and vision, a circle of friends that not only works hard but also laughs with- and cheers for each other.
With that said, it is absolutely crucial to find people who share this with us and who deeply identify themselves with the values of a Chocorian.
Choco is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.