eBay is a global commerce leader that allows you to shape how the world buys, sells, and gives. You’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 20 years ago. Here, you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a significant impact on people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a passion for helping small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
About the team:
eBay’s DE Product Development team is based in Dreilinden (Berlin) and is part of the global Core Product and Technology team. We enable commerce at scale, and have massive customer impact. Whilst doing all this, we are on a mission to improve eBay technology, drive agile adoption and demonstrate customer-centric development targeted towards our customers in Germany. While focused on local market needs we also chip in to eBay’s global product and technology portfolio. To do this, we improve existing experiences, build or extend core products and experiment with new innovations to make the lives of eBay customers better. We are continually tackling for the highest quality, and work in small focused teams following bits of Scrum, bits of Kanban, with a healthy dose of Extreme Programming (p.s. these aren’t buzzwords, we mean it when we say we do this stuff)
Our cross-functional teams have Product Management, all aspects of Product Development (including DevOps and Test), and UX all working together every day. We are collocated with eBay Germany’s business teams and closely interact with our German customers and other eBay teams on a daily basis.
Working at eBay is a rewarding, challenging and inspiring experience. As a Senior Android Engineer on the German regional development team, you should have an expert’s depth and breadth of experience in Android, Java, Kotlin and Android Developer Studio as well as familiarity with the integration of network services. You should be proficient in instructing and leading by example and mentoring both junior and senior engineers.
You must be very familiar with and an advocate of common Agile practices:
- Designing elegant technical solutions to customer problems
- TDD, clean code, software craftsmanship
- Testing at all levels (unit, integration, and UI)
- Continuous delivery and integration
- Code reviews
- Standard Agile ceremonies (e.g., stand-ups, grooming, demos, and retrospectives)
- Training / coaching
You will also be expected to:
- Integrate closely with colleagues in the mobile core team in Portland (USA) and other remote offices
- Evangelize, mentor, and promote mobile development best practices throughout the company
- Promote a culture of “internal open source” where teams can chip in to each other’s code bases regardless of organizational boundaries
- Enjoy being on a team of motivated, high-achievers
- Communicate effectively within your team and across teams
- Identify project risks, quantify risk/benefit relationships and provide alternative solutions as well as risk mitigation
- Be highly proficient in English, fluency in German is a strong plus
What we are looking for in candidates:
- 6+ Years of software design and development experience working on a team
- 4+ years of experience generating commercial quality Android applications using Java and/or Kotlin – please provide links to published apps
- Deep web service experience – full stack capabilities strongly preferred
- Comfortable with rapid development cycles, tight schedules, close integration with QA and product management
- Deep understanding mobile application design considerations
- Deep understanding of visual and interaction design principles for Android apps
- Deep understanding of design patterns, and experience working in a layered architecture
- Strong work ethic – someone who takes great pride in professionalism, responsibility, and being proactive
- Self-starter, positive can-do attitude with a strong desire to succeed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Proactive and hardworking when tackling new challenges
- The ability to work independently and the confidence to question where necessary
- An open, sharing, and interactive approach to software development
- Some travel to Portland (USA) may be required
What we offer
- Dynamic, international teams with very skilled personalities, a passion for e-commerce, professionalism and a good sense of humour.
- The chance to work closely with other teams across eBay; in Europe, Australia, the USA and globally.
- A competitive salary, phenomenal benefits and an excellent working environment.
- Silicon Valley amenities, such as iPhones and MacBook Pros, crazy high spec dev machines and brand new office facilities modern, tech-rich office building equipped with 500 devices ready to connect across five continents and 16 countries in Dreilinden, close to Berlin Wannsee.
- An opportunity to build applications which are used by your friends, neighbors and family in addition to millions of people globally.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.