Angaza enables businesses to sell life-changing products, on credit, to low-income, unbanked consumers in emerging markets. Our technology uses an IoT network of connected devices, mobile payments, and machine learning to accelerate the adoption of solar energy systems, smartphones, and appliances.
We are reinventing consumer credit by making it available to the 2 billion people across the globe who are unbanked or left out of formal credit/savings ecosystems. With Angaza, consumers have the flexibility to buy now and pay later, with full pricing transparency. And, merchants can increase their sales and revenue by over 8x by offering life-changing products on credit.
Angaza’s inclusive finance platform is already used by businesses in 50+ countries across Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, and Asia to improve the daily lives of over 20 million people.
The Client and User Experience team is looking for a Senior Android Software Engineer to lead our mobile development efforts. Using Angaza’s Android app, a sales agent in rural Kenya can seamlessly onboard dozens of new clients a day, record their loan details, and collect cash payments. We recently migrated the code base to Kotlin and redesigned the UI to have a cleaner and more modem appearance. Our team has an exciting road map, including building a new mobile app for thousands of consumers who purchase a smartphone on a payment plan.
Applicants should have at least 4 years of prior Android development work experience. You can find key responsibilities and tech details below.
- Backend: Python with Flask, SQLAlchemy, and Celery
- Infrastructure: AWS with PostgreSQL, EC2, Lambda, and friends
- Frontend: modern JS with React/Redux
- Mobile: Android with Kotlin
Key Individual Responsibilities
- Lead technical direction, architectural choices, and mobile development efforts
- Implement an intuitive and polished mobile user experience
- Communicate your changes effectively to your peers
- Review code, pair with colleagues, and provide mentorship
- Collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Learn about new technologies and a new domain, often by apprenticing to developers with less total experience but more Angaza knowledge
- Contribute energy and enthusiasm to the team and company
- Exemplify Angaza’s core values of empathy, teamwork, courage, innovation, and impact
Please use the linked form to submit a resume and any other materials you’d like to share. Our interview process includes one or more phone calls, a skills assessment, and interviews with people you’ll be working with. We don’t believe in gotcha logic puzzles or adversarial whiteboard exercises, and we try to give you specific constructive feedback. The entire process will take 2–3 weeks for most candidates.
Work Authorization: Angaza is unable to sponsor employment visas. Applicants are asked to share their work authorization status when applying.
Location: Remote candidates are encouraged to reply, as long as they are based in the US, eligible to work in the US, and are comfortable adjusting their working hours to mostly overlap with Pacific time. This position reports to our San Francisco team. For applicants based in that area, Angaza plans to reopen an in-person workspace on a voluntary basis within the next year.
Angaza is a for-profit company based in San Francisco and Nairobi. Employees receive salary, an equity stake in Angaza, and benefits that include:
- Competitive health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, HSA, & FSA
- 401(k) with company match
- Fully paid parental leave
- Flexible scheduling and time off policies
- Knowledge that you’re making a positive impact on the world every day you come to work!
Our Commitment to DEI
At Angaza, we evaluate all candidates on the basis of their ability to meet stated job requirements. We do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, religion, nationality, or other personal characteristics. In keeping with our commitment to supporting a safe and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply.