Website Marks & Spencer
Why Digital & Tech at M&S?
We’re changing the way we do things, and putting industry leading innovation at the heart of how we operate; we need a stellar engineering team to make it happen. You’ll be joining one of the most iconic brands in the UK on its most exciting cycle yet. We’re more integrated and product led in our tech teams than ever before: learning, changing, and adapting constantly, with millions of people benefiting from your work every single day.
What’s in it for you
Being a part of M&S is exactly that – becoming a part and playing your part. We’re an inclusive, dynamic, exciting, and always evolving business built on core values.
Here are some of the benefits we offer that make working for M&S just that little bit more special…
- 20% Colleague discount on most things from furniture, fashion and food.
- A first-class welcome to M&S with a tailored induction and a wide range of training schemes to help with your learning and development. Having options to progress is something we’re proud of at M&S.
- Attractive annual bonus, based on company performance and personal objectives.
- Competitive holiday entitlement!
- Amazing perks and discounts via our M&S Choices website. Including GymSave – that offers up to 25% off Gym Memberships and the option to become an M&S Shareholder using our ShareSave & ShareBuy Schemes
- Charity Volunteer Day – A paid day away from work to support your chosen charity.
- A very generous Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Every colleague at M&S has access to a fantastic range of wellbeing support – this includes access to our 24/7 Virtual GP, PAM Assist to support you & your family as well as many other schemes
What You’ll Be Doing
You’ll be joining the M&S Mobile App Platform team as a Software Engineering Manager. Our mission is to streamline native mobile development at M&S for our 40+ engineers and 10+ mobile applications – covering both our flagship apps, with more than 5 million monthly active users, and our colleague-facing apps that power 100s of store processes and make our colleagues’ lives easier.
You will manage the team building the mobile app platform. You will support the team and help direct the technical vision for how we will build reusable pipelines, tooling, build plugins and frameworks that our many apps will harness to boost the developer experience, while contributing code every step of the way.
We want to make M&S one of the best places for mobile app development, target the latest tooling and enable our engineers to focus on building the best user experience so that they don’t get held up by common engineering and continuous integration problems.
- Being accountable for engineering excellence within your teams, from behaviours to operations, from technical direction to solution in production and from skills and growth to reputation.
- Cultivating self-management and accountability throughout the team via leadership, clear sense of purpose and thoughtful talent management.
- Lead alignment with the overarching technical strategy and working with the wider Technology organisation to craft it.
- Act as a platform owner, apply accurate product thinking to what is being built with a view to enable and empower as much as possible the digital product(s) that it supports through data and customer centricity, driving the related partner management.
- Collaborate with the entire engineering leadership, to make us think strategically, to ensure maximum alignment and to maintain a healthy ability to “think big” within their teams.
- Line management of supporting Staff and Senior Engineers, as well as driving recruitment and retention within the team.
- Act as custodian of OKR’s within your hub.
- Supports our engineering communities to drive bar raising and strategic alignment, by creating the space and time within teams for the agenda of these communities to be progressed efficiently.
- When vendors are involved, the SDM is positioned as the key technical partner. They own it as a vital part of their platform with the same level of reliability and satisfaction as the in-house capabilities they build and run.
Who You Are
- Previous polyglot hands-on senior software engineer
- Excellent knowledge in mobile technologies
- Extensive background in software engineering with several years’ experience in a variety of systems and technologies
- Experience building and leading teams of highly skilled, senior software engineers that deliver high-quality software.
- Excellent understanding of system design, software architecture, cloud, and software engineering standard methodologies,
Promoter of DevOps: you build it, you run it.
- Strong understanding of testing strategies and reliability engineering
- Excellent people management, interpersonal, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to lead and line manage senior engineers and technical partners to a desired outcome, without prescribing it.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken and able to adjust for different, including non-technical audiences.
- A servant-leadership mentality that is willing to take ownership of problems.
- Able to influence people at senior levels and from the highly technical to non-technical
Our Tech Stack
- Kotlin / Java / Swift
- Gradle Build System / xcodebuild
- Android Build Tooling
- Bitrise CI/CD Workflows
- GitHub + GitHub Actions
- Swift Package Command + Build Plugins
- JUnit 4 + 5, Kotlin Test, SwiftyMocky, Sourcery
- New Relic Observability
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the retail industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team.
Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact.
We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working.
If you consider yourself to require reasonable adjustments to any part of our recruitment process, we invite you to share those requirements with us when completing your application. We will make every effort to ensure your needs are met to provide a fair and transparent process of assessment.