Website Marks & Spencer
Why Digital & Tech at M&S?
We’re changing the way we do things, and putting industry leading innovation at the heart of how we operate; we need a stellar engineering team to make it happen. You’ll be joining one of the most iconic brands in the UK on its most exciting cycle yet. We’re more integrated and product led in our tech teams than ever before: learning, changing, and adapting constantly, with millions of people benefiting from your work every single day.
What’s in it for you
Being a part of M&S is exactly that – becoming a part and playing your part. We’re an inclusive, dynamic, exciting, and always evolving business built on core values.
Here are some of the benefits we offer that make working for M&S just that little bit more special…
- 20% Colleague discount on most things from furniture, fashion and food.
- A first-class welcome to M&S with a tailored induction and a wide range of training schemes to help with your learning and development. Having options to progress is something we’re proud of at M&S.
- Attractive annual bonus, based on company performance and personal objectives.
- Competitive holiday entitlement!
- Amazing perks and discounts via our M&S Choices website. Including GymSave – that offers up to 25% off Gym Memberships and the option to become an M&S Shareholder using our ShareSave & ShareBuy Schemes
- Charity Volunteer Day – A paid day away from work to support your chosen charity.
- A very generous Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Every colleague at M&S has access to a fantastic range of wellbeing support – this includes access to our 24/7 Virtual GP, PAM Assist to support you & your family as well as many other schemes
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be joining the M&S Mobile App Platform team as a Staff Software Engineer. Our mission is to streamline native mobile development at M&S for our 40+ engineers and 10+ mobile applications – covering both our flagship apps, with more than 5 million monthly active users, and our colleague-facing apps that power 100s of store processes and make our colleagues’ lives easier.
You will help direct the technical vision for how we will build reusable pipelines, tooling, build plugins and frameworks that our many apps will harness to boost the developer experience, while contributing code every step of the way.
We want to make M&S one of the best places for mobile app development, target the latest tooling and enable our engineers to focus on building the best user experience so that they don’t get held up by common Android engineering and continuous integration problems.
Our Tech Stack
- Kotlin / Java
- Gradle Build System
- Android Build Tooling
- Bitrise CI/CD Workflows
- GitHub + GitHub Actions
- JUnit 4 + 5, Kotlin Test
- New Relic Observability
Who you are
- Experience with authoring Gradle Plugins
- Advanced knowledge of Android application development and the Gradle build systems
- Self-driven individual comfortable solving complex problems without defined solutions
- Someone who can direct the Android platform technical vision alongside their product manager
- Capable of using or building new tooling to optimise developer experience
- Experienced with build + runtime observability
- Passion for boosting the Android developer experience using both stock + custom tooling
- Experience with optimising incremental compile time
- Enthusiastic about writing automated tests, for both application code and pipeline code
- Passionate about knowledge sharing, presenting technical concepts to both specific and broad audiences
- Passionate about developing other less experienced Engineers through coaching and mentoring
- Passion for inner source, open source, and community development
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the retail industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact.
We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working.
If you consider yourself to require reasonable adjustments to any part of our recruitment process, we invite you to share those requirements with us when completing your application. We will make every effort to ensure your needs are met to provide a fair and transparent process of assessment.